• SIT-A-LONG with Taigu FUKANZAZENGI 6

If however there is the tiniest gap, heaven and earth are far apart. If the least tendency arises to go against or conform, the mind is lost in confusion.

Cependant, s’il existe le plus petit écart, ciel et terre se séparent. Que s’élèvent la plus légère préférence ou le moindre rejet, l’esprit se perd dans la confusion.

This article was originally published in forum thread: SIT-A-LONG with Taigu FUKANZAZENGI 6 started by Taigu View original post
    Comments 22 Comments
      Daizan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
      If the least tendency arises to go against or conform....
      Between a rock and a hard place, without a millimetre, I shatter.

When my wife was undergoing radiation therapy for cancer, she was badly burned, and could only lay still in bed... The pain was complete and could not be escaped from. There was no escape. She said to me " I am like a bug pinned to a wall, I can either wiggle or just be the wall". She was only the pain, the bed, the room.

I'm not sure if your talk speaks to this exactly, but your quoted line ,for me, points directly at this no room to wiggle, this instant of frozenness, that shatters, leaving open, fluid, aloneness.

Gassho.kojip
      murasaki -
      This is the base of it all for me. If I had to choose one single teaching to take away from Treeleaf, I think this would be it.
      Gassho
      Julia
      Myozan Kodo -
      Merci Taigu.
      Gassho
      Myozan
      Hoyu -
      I wish not to use the Dharma, but be used by the Dharma
      This says it all!

Gassho,
      Hoyu
      Rimon -
      Watching the gap between my life and the Dharma... Hmmmm... It's pretty big.
      Good to know that trying to fill it is not the answer.

So I'll keep an eye on it.

Merci Taigu
      Yugen -
      C'est la vie sportive!

Gassho
      Yugen
      Shokai -
      Thank you Taigu, I enjoy this series and look forward to more (oops, "What's next!")
      kyo -
      Great thank you
      Risho -
      Gassho,

Risho
      Bids -
      Thank you.
      Gassho

Nadi
      Rich -
      Thanks Taigu. Dogen rocks.
      Myoku -
      Thank you Taigu,
      Gassho
      Myoku
      Kyonin -
      Thank you, Taigu
      Shingen -
      Wonderful, thanks again Taigu.

Gassho,
      Michael
      Marek -
      Thank you

disastermouse -

Do people ever actually think that they are accomplished meditators in this practice? There's always this admonishment - so many Zen teachers talk about it, but it seems that the practice itself repels that kind of thinking. Is there a way to sit zazen where it doesn't just automatically repel this sort of thinking?

Humility in Zen is letting go, right? Not picking up self-chastisement. I'm thinking about Alan's thread..

Chet
      Taigu -
      Hi Chet,

When the mind wanders, just come back here and now. When in here and now, just here and now.

Gassho

Taigu
      Shingen -
      Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
      When the mind wanders, just come back here and now. When in here and now, just here and now.
      Wonderful Taigu ... I remember a meditation retreat at the Tamagawa Campus in Nanaimo, BC and we were being taught about the practice of mindfulness. He said, "Simple ... when you breathe in, say to yourself, bring the mind home ... and when breathing out, say, letting go".
      Ray -
      Thanks taigu,

May be more Aware that i am a fool through bringing awareness to the gap when off the cushion!

Many thanks again

Gassho
      galen -
      Nice, Taigu, thank you.

Sitting sitting, forever slowly slowly closing the gap that never closes, until it does.

Standing up from sitting, forever slowly slowly closing the gap while among the ten thousand gappers. Not sitting, the standing gap only widens.

galen