• SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Xin Xin Ming-(XIII)-Child in Hospital

Our daughter has been in hospital all this week very sick, with Sepsis (a major infection of the blood) compounded by influenza. The sepsis is responding very well to treatment, but it is serious because of her age and she is still a very sick little girl. She's had a spinal tap and been poked and prodded. However, things are stable, looking up from a couple of days ago, the doctors sound very optimistic now, and she is in very good hands here in the pediatrics ward. Here's GASSHO to all nurses, doctors and health care workers EVERYWHERE!

My wife takes the night shift to stay with her, and I take part of the day. We have little rest this week, we are both worried. Our son Leon is sick at home too. There is nothing about the situation to like, and so much potentially to lose. Our heads sometimes fill with worst case scenarios. (The expense mounts too, as we do not have any insurance yet for our daughter just come to Japan ... one more worry in this modern age). If this is but a dream, it seems like a very bad one. Yet, especially at such times, the Xin Xin Ming counsels this ...

Rest and unrest derive from illusion;
    with enlightenment there is no liking and disliking.
    All dualities come from ignorant inference.
    They are like dreams of flowers in the air:
    foolish to try to grasp them.
    Gain and loss, right and wrong:
    such thoughts must finally be abolished at once.

It sounds like something far removed from reality ... yet it is Reality, as True as True ... and precisely at hard times like this, the power of this Buddhist Way manifests! All is at Rest right in the heart of exhaustion, there is Peace shining through life's sharp pieces. There is nothing possible to lose, never the least separation, not even 'life and death' ... even as hearts are broken and there is so much to lose in this life!

All At Once As One.

I mean the following with all I have. It may sound a little cold and unemotional to some, but in its flesh is the worry and heartache of a father with a sick child, and at its center is the beating Heart of Kannon ...

Life is sometimes sickness and sometimes health. I know that human beings prefer only the healthy days ... but Buddhas have no such preferences.

The Buddha left us this, the Most Powerful Teaching ...

... That there is never any loss possible, no place distant for our loved one to go, something wondrous that transcends sickness and health, birth and death ... no broken pieces ever in need of repair from the start. The dualities arise from ignorance, and all is a dream-flower in the sky. Dropped away, and all is Whole in an Instant.

I know it hard to feel so, especially on the most difficult days ... but it is so.

One can be anxious and worried as a parent can and must be ... and wonderously, simultaneously, not disturbed at all, not fearful in the least. Strange, this Buddhist Wisdom, isn't it?

Today's sitting is silent, no more words need be spoken. Just sitting in the hospital room with our sick child. We sit here too, Zazen is sitting anywhere.

Thank you for all who have sent Metta and good feelings, and done much sitting this week. It is so good to have the company of kind friends at hard times. I am so glad to be part of this Sangha.

Today’s Sit-A-Long video follows at this link. Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended
  • Recent Article Comments Widget

Genki

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: The Stories of the Buddha's Birth

Thank you Jundo!
    Great talk.

Gassho
    Genki

Björn Go to last post

Genki 04-20-2014 01:08 PM
  • Recent Blog Posts

Shokai

And the wheel keeps turning

Today is my 28,124th rotation on planet earth and the beginning of my 78th circuit around our sun. In celebration of that and completion of the preceding introduction to the 108 Gates of Dharma...

Shokai 04-09-2014 12:30 AM
    Shokai

And the wheel keeps turning

Today is my 28,124th rotation on planet earth and the beginning of my 78th circuit around our sun. In celebration of that and completion of the preceding introduction to the 108 Gates of Dharma...

Shokai 04-09-2014 12:29 AM
    Shokai

109/108 Gates of Dharma Illumination

April 8, 2014

The One Hundred and ninth Gate
    The state in which water is sprinkled on the head is a gate of Dharma illumination; for [with it], following birth in a family, we are at last...

Shokai 04-08-2014 02:08 AM
    Shokai

108/108 Gates of Dharma Illumination

April 7, 2014

The One Hundred and eighth Gate
    The wisdom that leads us from one state to another state is a gate of Dharma illumination; for [with it], having water sprinkled on the head,...

Shokai 04-07-2014 03:17 AM
    Shokai

107/108 Gates of Dharma Illumination

April 6, 2014

The One Hundred and seventh Gate
    The state beyond regressing and straying is a gate of Dharma illumination; for it is replete with the Dharma of past buddhas..

[B]The...

Shokai 04-05-2014 10:20 PM
  • Recent Forum Posts

Jishin

Einstein quote

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
    Albert Einstein

Gassho, Jishin

Jishin Today, 08:10 PM Go to last post
    Juki

Einstein quote

Baby Thor and Mon Cul were at the table. Marx Marvelous blinked at the luminescence of the child's gaze; his eyes were like bare wires. He was both amused

Juki Today, 06:22 PM Go to last post
    Risho

Einstein quote

I'm paraphrasing, I think from the book "What the Buddha Taught", but truth isn't Buddhist, Christian, etc. Truth is truth; now the path to

Risho Today, 05:55 PM Go to last post
    rculver

Street kesa, Buddha tree

Lovely!

Gassho

Shugen

rculver Today, 05:43 PM Go to last post
    Kokuu

Einstein quote

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

-- Albert Einstein

Kokuu Today, 05:40 PM Go to last post