View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Day 27866

So many words, useless thoughts; 10,000 dharmas in your face. Google+ is playing silly buggar; can't join the hangout. It's ok to be fat, overweight, diseased, depressed, happy, exuberant, mellow. All the while, the kids had a good week-end. Someone said, "It's ok to be not ok!" It doesn't matter. Traffic sounds abound. The cardinal doesn't care. He sings a song each morning. In the now cool air it carries for city blocks. A train hurtles from the under-river tunnel bursting into a rainbow of sound. ...

Updated 07-25-2013 at 10:47 AM by Shokai

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Islands in the Stream

This is my first post in what I hope will be a multi-year project logging my journeys to the islands of the Maine Island Trail by kayak.

The idea for this project came some time after reading Dogen's "Mountains and Waters Sutra" in the Shobogenzo. After years spent as a kayaker and mountaineer, Dogen's writing helped to crystallize what I had been feeling for many years. When in the outdoors, I do not feel the sentiment of the Romantic or Transcendentalist viewing a beautiful sunrise ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. On Sharing

Our Daughter has spent the last three weeks coping with the ravages of the floods in southern Alberta. She lives in a small village on the banks of the Bow River as it pours down the eastern foot hills of the Rockies. Fortunately, her rental accommodations sit on posts. The house used to have a skirt about these posts so she was completely unaware of this and horrified when the raging water ripped them away. The flood also cleared away the driveway, front path and anything else in the yard, to be ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized