Kyûjûzan Tôkei'in is a Zen temple of
the Sôtô school located near to the town of
Shizuoka (180 km to the west of Tokyo) on Mt. Kuzumi.
The temple was originally a Shintô sanctuary dedicated
to the divinity Sumiyoshi Umanaku Daimyôjin, transformed
later into a temple of Japanese Shingon (esoteric) Buddhism
while bearing the name Kikei'in (alternatively, Kikei'an).
In 1452, the governor of the province of Fukushima, Lord
Iga, entrusted the direction of the temple to Zen Master
Sekisô Enchû (d. 1455), who renamed it the
Tôkei'in. Sekisô Enchû took the title
of second abbot, leaving the honorary title of abbot-founder
(jap. Kaisan) to his late Master, Jochû Tengin (1365-1440),
as was often the custom at the time. Once leaving the
main road up the mountain, one takes a long path lined
original French version of these pages, and many of its
photographs, are by Eric Rommeluère, founder of
the “Un Zen Occidental” Sangha in Paris, Dharma
Heir of Nishijima Roshi and Dharma Brother to Jundo.